Thursday, August 15, 2019

45 Things To Try If Your Partner's Love Language Is Receiving Gifts


If you want a better relationship - now or in the future - you have, have, HAVE to read The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  There are versions for singles, men, to help with your parenting...it is for every.single.one. of your relationships.  It's fascinating ... and it works! 

Now, this isn't meant to get you out of your reading, but you can take a free love test here to find out what your love language is.  And I'm going to do a series of talking about each love language with ideas on how to incorporate them into your relationship, but it can't all take the place of the book.  I promise - the $10 investment of the book is worth it a million times over!

Ok, off my soapbox. 


Did you take the quiz? It's important to know not only your love language, but your partner's love language.  For me personally, my languages are words of affirmation, physical touch and receiving gifts.  My husband's are acts of service and quality time.  (Hey, together we hit all five!) But being able to name those languages and being able to know what each of those mean are two totally different things!  And understanding how your partner gives love best and how they best receive love is vital to your relationship. 



For now, right here, we are focusing on receiving gifts. 

Receiving gifts is one of my love languages.  And before we really studied in depth what that meant, my husband just heard that as "Buy me things." 

I'll admit, I was on this love language thing waaaaaay before he was, but that doesn't mean that I always approached or communicated it correctly!  I would come into the bedroom and 'remind' him of my languages and he would probably think to himself crap.  He would bring home flowers that day and I would beam.  "What are these for?"


"You told me to buy you something.  I didn't know what to get.  But you always say I don't buy you flowers anymore."

Annnnd while the gesture was appreciated, it totally missed the mark of my emotional need.  I was left frustrated.  He was frustrated.  (He bought me a gift right?!)  But I had to remember, receiving gifts isn't his love language, so he doesn't 'get it'.  He's not going to be a pro at it, because he doesn't receive love that way so giving love that way isn't natural to him.  But as long as effort is made, grace must be given too.  So maybe you are the person who says, what the heck does this receiving love language stuff mean?!  


It's not the gift, but it is the thought.  The effort.  For me personally, when I receive a gift it says things like:

  • "While we were apart I was thinking of you."
  • "I'm reminded of you when I see...." 
  • "I wanted to create something special for you because I love you."
A gift takes thought, effort and love to pick out the perfect thing.  It's a visual representation of love!  Again personally, I don't want to just get the flowers, I want to know WHY you chose to get flowers or what made you pick those flowers in particular.  What were your thoughts?  For people who receive love as gifts, a thoughtless gift is worse than no gift.  

If you are worried about your bank account, breath easy.  Gifts don't have to be materialistic!  Remember, it's the reasoning behind the gifts. 

If your partner's love language is receiving gifts, please don't be overwhelmed!  I've compiled a list of ideas to help you!  As a gift lover, I would be over the moon for any of these.  (Feel free to forward this to my husband!) 

  1. Everyone knows you get gifts for birthdays, anniversary's, Valentine's Day, etc but do something a little unexpected.  Look up unique love holidays and get something small or make a special dinner.  Your loved one will want to know the occasion and chances are, they will have never heard of the holiday.  
  2. Similarly, make up a day.  You can name it something personal with your spouse's name or something more general like 'Sweet Talk Your Spouse Day'  It doesn't really matter what you do, the fact that you wanted to create a special day will mean so much! 
  3. Make a set of IOU coupons.
  4. Buy or make your partner a lunch and surprise them at work with it. 
  5. Pick them up a card while you are at the store and write a sweet note inside. 
  6. Make them a custom playlist with songs that remind you of them or your relationship.  
  7. Have fresh flowers waiting to surprise them when they get home from work.  
  8. Make them a scrapbook of your photographs together.
  9. Bring them home something from vacation.  If you are vacationing together, get something and bring it back.  Gift it to your partner as something to remember all of the memories with. 
  10. Pick up their favorite treat from the grocery store.  
  11. Give them a thank you card and list all of the ways you are grateful for them. 
  12. Bring home their favorite ice cream and movie if they are having a bad day.
  13. Sign them up for a class you know they were wanting to try.  
  14. Think of a date that is significant and get a memento.  For Christmas, I got my husband I got a framed star map from The Night Sky.  It is so cool!  You can put in a date and it will show the exact location of the stars.  For him, I used the day he decided to get sober.  It was a life changing day!  I added the quote, "It's often in the darkest skies that the brightest stars shine."  He absolutely loves it! 
  15. Plan a surprise date. 
  16. Surprise your loved one with a note on/in their car before they leave for work. 
  17. Give them an Open When box.
  18. Make plans to cross something off their bucket list.
  19. Give the gift of time.  Maybe things have been a little crazy or maybe you've had a fight.  Give them a little package to open where you tell them that you are 100% theirs for hour/evening/whole day.  Then, leave the phones off and just enjoy each other.
  20. Purchase a book for them.  Bonus points: Light some candles and tell them to take the night off from kid duties to lay, relax and read.
  21. Make them a dinner of all their favorites. 
  22. Put their favorite Bible verse, phrase or a phrase that has meaning to the two of you in a frame. 
  23. Write them a love letter.
  24. Plan a trip to a place they've always wanted to go.  It can be someplace close by like a new restaurant or a dream vacation.  
  25. Can't afford to travel (or have the time?) Do a staycation.  If your love has always wanted to go to Italy, make an Italian dinner, put on some Italian music and find an Italian movie!  Cheesy?  Yes.  But TRUST ME! 
  26. Have flowers sent to them for no reason. 
  27. Put together a book of quotes or phrases that reminds you of them.
  28. Buy or rent a DVD to watch together. 
  29. Build or make something for the home.  Pinterest projects for the win!
  30. Make them coffee.
  31. Create a monthly date night box.
  32. Fill their gas tank for them.
  33. Draw them a bath and tell them to relax.
  34. Plan a girls/guys night for them.
  35. Cover their mirror with love notes.
  36. Pick up your partner's favorite candy.
  37. Get a pack of their favorite drink, put it in the refrigerator and add a love note. 
  38. Frame a favorite picture of the two of you.
  39. Pick out a special shirt, jeans, etc for your loved one.  Tell them how it reminded you of them or how hot they will look in it! 
  40. Ask your partner what you can do for them that would be helpful.
  41. Give them something to encourage one of their hobbies or interests.
  42. Think of a problem they often have and help to solve it.  (Always losing your keys? A key finder would help!  No room for their jackets in the closet? Maybe clear out some of your unused items.) 
  43. Create a tradition together.
  44. Serve your love breakfast in bed.
  45. Celebrate the little things!  Potty training complete?  Ace a presentation?  Do an awesome job staining the back deck?  Celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Time Self Care Bucket List

Fall is right around the corner.  I for one, couldn't be any more excited.  This is my favorite time of year.  The weather is right...